Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Manicure & Pedicure While Pregnant?

I heard cases that u shouldn't get a pedicure while pregnant as it causes false labor. Im 30 weeks pregnant- should I not go %26amp; do this? though it sounds sooo relaxing :( Please helpManicure %26amp; Pedicure While Pregnant?
I've never heard that. I had both done when i was almost 13 weeks for my wedding. The only thing to be cautious of is the fumes.





Go pamper yourself!!Manicure %26amp; Pedicure While Pregnant?
I think it may be that having a foot massage can touch on certain pressure points that may cause contractions, but i don't seriously think it is going to start labor. Although nailpolish is toxic and i've heard that it's not the best to get your nails done while pregnant, but i can't imagine that just once would hurt either.
I've never heard of such a thing, and if it's true I'm very sad! My baby's daddy said when I get too big to cut my own toe nails he'll pay for me to have a pedicure whenever I need one. ;o)





I actually have a lot of friends who have had babies who said they got pedicures shortly before their due date - they said if your feet are propped up and all your stuff is hanging out for the world to see, at least you can have pretty toes. ;o)
Honestly, your pregnant...


And you used the words ';sooooo relaxing';





Pregnant + Relaxing = PERFECTION.


Do anything and everything you can do to relieve any stress while pregnant. And NO(false labor), my buddy did it all the time while she was pregnant..and loved it.
pedicure is okay as long as they don't do pressure points on your feet or give you a leg massage. I had pedicures with my pregnancies and trust me they didn't put me into labor and my preg was high risk. good luck and enjoy. Manicure should be fine no pressure points though.
Well dang! If I'd have known that, maybe I wouldn't have had to go on average 11 days past my due date with all SIX of my kids.





If only I'd have known a mani or pedi would have done the trick!





It's a MYTH honey, designed by pregnant woman haters who want us to not have any little luxuries at all while incubating our husband's spawn.





Think I'll schedule one today. (I'm 32 weeks with number 7.)
I heard of it and i was going to go get a pedicure to go into labor because i was told it can put you in real labor. I called my OB/GYN and they told me no it won't just relax and go enjoy one. I was bumed but oh well LOL
my sister is a nail tech and according to her that is bull hockey. Go have a good time. I would avoid the acrylics (both for the putting them on and the acetone to take them off). but otherwise have a good time.
Its totally safe. Just make sure that you tell whoever is doing it that you are pregnant. There are some spots on your feet that if there is pressure on them it could cause contractions.
I've have never heard of that...I'm 38 wks pregnant...and I've had regular manis and pedis all throughout my pregnancy...it's incredibly relaxing...go for it!
Ma mom told me not to get a pedicure because the fumes but i still havent asked my doctor
Even if it's okay, I'd worry about the smell affecting you! That wouldn't be fun to have to leave halfway through because your senses are heightened and you have a headache or are nauseous!
I've never heard such a thing. But I would be weary of all the bacteria and other fungus in those dirty places. You really think they clean and stearilize EVERYTHING after every customer? NOT!
That's not true. Whoever told you that was lying, ignorant or trying to scare you. Mani's and pedi's are fine. I kept getting pedicures right up until I delivered. It felt great.
Never heard of this before, just go pamper yourself and enjoy your pregnancy and baby when it comes.
best thing you can do and it might even help with pain in your back if you are having any
well, since your sitting down.. and its not like they use deadly chemicals. You should be perfectly fine. But i spose if you want to be totally sure ask your doctor :)
Who told you that?


Yes you can.
why not?!





there is absolutely no reason for you not to have a pedicure - they are amazing





go for it - it's just what your feet ordered XD
I think so
Nah thats rubbish, go for it :)
never heard of that...


go for one, enjoy!!!!
uhh...its not like ur gonna be stading the whole time..


yes u can get one
Pedicures in Pregnancy


Precautions Make It Enjoyable for You, and Safe for Baby


-- By Christie Hadley, Staff Writer





What is it about painted toenails that makes women feel so beautiful? Even on my worst hair days, when my feet are cute, I feel pretty. This is an important concept for pregnant women—especially in those early months (when all you can concentrate on is keeping saltine crackers down), and even in the later months (when the only reason our feet enter our minds is because they hurt so much). But...are pedicures safe during pregnancy?





According to Dawn Bierschwal, owner of Becoming Mom Pregnancy Spa and Imaging Center in Mason, Ohio, they are absolutely safe—as long as you use common sense and take a few precautions.





So what should a mom-to-be watch out for when choosing a spa or salon for her pregnancy pedicure? Start with reflexology.





Reflexology is the art of applying pressure (or strokes) to certain areas of the feet to relieve pain, discomfort, or problems in other parts of the body. Pressure points located in the ankles are connected to the reproductive organs, and one point specifically relates to the uterus. If rubbed in the correct way by a professional, this spot can trigger contractions. But if this is done too early it can bring on preterm labor. Bierschwal advises expectant moms to “go to someone who is trained in what points to avoid.” It is unlikely that an amateur can trigger this response by accident, but to just to be safe, have your own personal masseuse (hubby, mom, best friend, etc.) avoid your ankles when rubbing your feet.





But if you’ve ever had a pedicure before, you know that the massage doesn’t just concentrate on your feet—it goes all the way up to your knees. This is a wonderful way to relieve the pain and pressure you are feeling due to carrying all that extra weight. But this can also be dangerous if you have a blood clot. Recent studies suggest that a woman’s overall risk for blood clots during pregnancy is six times greater than in non-pregnant women. This risk continues into the first few months postpartum as well.





“It is important to go to someone who knows about blood clots during pregnancy, especially if you are prone to them,” Bierschwal advises. “We have women fill out a form so we know their history with blood clots and can watch to ensure we don’t dislodge them.”





Another concern that comes with pedicures is fumes. Many nail products contain formaldehyde and toluene, which in small doses can cause moms to feel dizzy or nauseous, but in large repeated exposures have been linked to birth defects. There are many polishes and products available which are both formaldehyde and toluene free. Ensure that either your salon or room where you paint your nails is well-ventilated or that you wear a mask to defuse the fumes.





“Make sure you know your salon sterilizes their equipment,” Bierschwal adds. This includes the instruments and the tubs which, if not sterilized, can cause infections. You can also bring your own manicure kit to the salon to prevent exposure.





Catering to pregnancy is a new trend in the spa industry, with pregnancy-specific spas (like Bierschwal’s Becoming Mom) popping up all over the country. Other full-service spas are also adding pregnancy services to their repertoire. These services are performed by professionals, trained to work specifically with a pregnant mother, to help moms feel beautiful—without the worries.





So to answer the important question, yes, pedicures can be a safe way to pamper yourself during pregnancy. Taking these precautions and knowing what to ask when searching for a salon or spa can make the experience more enjoyable for you, and safer for baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment